Compost Site Technical Assistance
RecyclingWorks can provide no-cost Compost Site Technical Assistance (TA) to composting facilities in Massachusetts that are:
- An agricultural, municipal or private facility that currently engages in composting materials including food materials, and is in need of operational improvements, or is considering expanding the operation
- An agricultural, municipal or private facility that currently does not engage in any composting but would like to begin composting food materials.
- An agricultural, municipal or private facility that currently engages in leaf and yard waste composting and would like to begin composting food materials.
Composting experts contracted through RecyclingWorks provide technical assistance to facilities. Composting experts conduct 1-2 site visits and utilize an operational best management practices (BMPs) checklist prepared by MassDEP and the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources to assess each facility.The goal of this process is to support food waste composting infrastructure in Massachusetts and to help ensure well operated sites by providing consulting advice on best management practices. To this end, every facility that receives technical assistance from a contracted composting expert will be given a written report that includes findings from the operational checklist, detailed observations, and analysis, and suggestions for how the facility can successfully begin a food waste composting operation or improve existing operations.
RecyclingWorks also organizes workshops for compost site operators in Massachusetts. These half-day workshops are geared towards:
- Food materials composting operations registered with MDAR or MassDEP
- Municipal operators
- Small scale site operators
- Other parties considering starting a compost site.
Check the event listings on our website to see if a workshop is currently scheduled.
Spring 2018 – Technical Skills Compost Workshop
- RecyclingWorks Updates, Heather Billings, RecyclingWorks
- MassDEP Regulations and MDAR Registration, MassDEP, Tom Adamczyk
- Compost Management Review & Intro to Recipe Exercise, James McSweeney, Compost Technical Services
If you are interested in requesting free technical assistance, attending a future workshop, or would like more information, please contact RecyclingWorks in Massachusetts at (888) 254-5525 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.