Recent restrictions and closures due to COVID-19 may leave your business or institution with excess food in your inventory. Whether you are a restaurant, college or university, supermarket, or other business, consider donating your surplus, edible food to the local community rather than throwing it away. Many food rescue organizations are currently able to distribute food to local pantries, low-income housing facilities, and other entities in need.
Here is a list of a number of food rescue organizations that accept food from Massachusetts businesses and institutions. For a searchable list of smaller agencies, like soup kitchens and food pantries near you, visit www.findafoodpantry.org.
- Food Bank of Western Massachusetts | Hatfield, MA | (413) 247-9738
- Service Area: Serves four counties in western Massachusetts – Franklin, Hampshire, Hampden, and Berkshire
- Greater Boston Food Bank | Boston, MA | (617) 427-5200
- Service Area: Serves nine counties in eastern Massachusetts – Essex, Middlesex, Suffolk, Norfolk, Plymouth, Bristol, Barnstable, Dukes, and Nantucket
- Merrimack Valley Food Bank | Lowell, MA | (978) 454-7272
- Service Area: Serves 25 cities and towns in southern New Hampshire and Massachusetts (within Essex and Middlesex counties)
- Worcester County Food Bank | Shrewsbury, MA | (508) 842-3663
- Service Area: Serves Worcester County
Food Rescue Organizations
- Fair Foods | Dorchester, MA | (617) 288-6185
- Food for Free | Cambridge, MA | (617) 868-2900
- Food Link | Arlington, MA | (781) 819-4225
- Lovin’ Spoonfuls | Boston, MA | (617) 390-4450
- Rachel’s Table – Springfield | Springfield, MA | (413) 733-9165
- Rachel’s Table – Worcester | Worcester, MA | (508) 799-7699
- Rescuing Leftover Cuisine | Boston, MA | (401) 965-4532
Food Donation Networking Organizations
- Food Donation Connection – Harvest Programs | USA | (800) 831-8161
- Food Recovery Network | USA | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spoiler Alert | Boston, MA | 617-917-4123 | email@example.com
Additionally, we are working to confirm details about the current capacity and needs of different food rescue organizations. If your business has excess food and needs assistance finding a donation outlet or an organics hauler, please call the RecyclingWorks hotline: (888) 254-5525 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.