Date(s) - 06/07/2016
9:30 am - 11:00 am
Date: Tues, June 7, 2016
Time: 9:30 – 11:00 am
Location: Needham Bank, Jack McGeorge Operations Center, 214 Garden Street, Needham
RSVP to register: Email email@example.com or call 888-254-5525. Please let us know the event you are registering for, your name, school/business, title, email, and phone.
This free workshop is open to food service businesses in Needham, Newton, Wellesley, and surrounding communities interested in learning about diverting wasted food from the trash through food donation, composting, and other waste diversion strategies. Heather Billings and Josh Cook from RecyclingWorks in MA will discuss:
- How to estimate how much food waste your business is producing and the potential savings from starting a food waste collection program.
- Recommended practices for source separation of food waste, starting in the kitchen.
- Working with commercial haulers for the collection of food waste.
- Guidelines for proper food waste storage, from cleanliness to container maintenance.
- Actions to reduce food waste.
- How to partner with a food rescue organization to donate surplus food.
- Successful examples of food waste diversion at several businesses and institutions.
- The Commercial Organics Waste Ban.
- Free technical assistance available to businesses through RecyclingWorks in MA
Representatives from Green Needham and the Needham Department of Public Works will also present on local collaborations to increase food waste diversion. Agenda: 9:30-10:30 am: Workshop 10:30am-11:00am: Conversation about opportunities for collaboration to increase food waste diversion (optional).
Two-hour parking is available on adjacent streets and in nearby municipal lots:
- Needham Center station – enter from Chestnut St. across from Bank of America (walk across the tracks to the Needham Bank)
- Chestnut St. access from Chestnut St. past Great Plain Ave. (behind Masala Art and CVS). (Please do not park in the bank parking lot.)