The Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) Recycling Business Development Grant (RBDG) program is currently accepting applications for the 2020 cycle. The program provides grant awards between $50,000 and $400,000 to recycling processors and manufacturers for projects that foster stronger local recycling markets and add value to municipal and business recycling efforts.
This year, the program will consider projects that focus on processing, manufacturing, or reuse activities related to the following priority materials:
- Container Glass: Developing market outlets and uses for container glass sourced from materials recycling facilities (MRFs).
- Comingled Recyclables Handled by MRFs: Increasing capacity to handle or reduce contamination of mixed recyclable streams consisting of paper, cardboard, and glass, metal, and plastic containers.
- Construction & Demolition (C&D) Materials: Projects targeting cardboard, wood, metal, or clean gypsum wallboard that will increase the process separation rate at C&D handling facilities.
- Textiles: Recycling of textiles such as clothing, clean footwear, bedding, towels, curtains, and fabric into new products.
- Food Materials: Use of source separated food scraps, with a focus on food material streams that may contain packaging or other contamination, for composting, intermediate processing to supply anaerobic digestion facilities, or similar processes.
- Mattresses: Dismantling and recycling of mattresses at processing facilities.
Applications for the 2020 RBDG cycle are due November 20, 2020 at 5 pm. Visit the MassDEP RBDG program webpage for more information, including eligibility details and a link to the application.