This blog post written by Andrew Shakman, CEO of LeanPath (a food waste prevention technology provider), highlights how to use social psychology tools to engage employees in food waste prevention activities. Although the examples apply to food waste prevention, Shakman explains the principles can be utilized to promote other behaviors, like food safety. The five strategies Shakman discusses are:
- Provide vivid feedback to staff.
- Encourage small commitments (which often lead to bigger changes).
- Use randomized incentives.
- Create friendly competition.
- Recognize individuals in front of the team.
RecyclingWorks in Massachusetts can provide technical assistance when implementing or improving food waste prevention strategies at your business or institution. For more information, email RecyclingWorks or call us at 1-888-254-5525.